Ridesharing Accidents: Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help Me?
Ridesharing has seen a significant increase in popularity in Texas in recent years. With the rise of companies like Uber and Lyft, more and more people are opting to use these services instead of traditional taxis. This trend is particularly prevalent in urban areas, including Houston, where residents are drawn to the convenience and affordability of ridesharing. At the same time, accidents involving Uber vehicles and Lyft vehicles are becoming commonplace in Southeast Texas.
Were you involved in a ridesharing accident? Whether you were in a crash as a ridesharing driver, ridesharing passenger, an occupant of another vehicle, or a pedestrian/bicyclist, it is imperative that you know what to do to protect your rights. These are complicated cases. A Houston personal injury lawyer will help you pursue justice, accountability, and financial compensation. Here, our Houston car accident attorney provides a guide to ridesharing accident injury claims in Texas.Steps to Take After a Ridesharing Accident in Texas
If you are involved in a ridesharing accident in Southeast Texas, there are things you should take to protect yourself and your rights. Here are four key steps that you need to take after a ridesharing crash in Houston:
- Seek Medical Care for Any Injuries: The first step after a ridesharing accident is to seek medical attention for any injuries you may have sustained. Doing is important not only for your health, but also for any potential legal claim that you may have.
- Ensure the Crash is Reported: All injury crashes should be reported to law enforcement in Texas. Drivers have the duty to report a collision. If you were involved in a collision as a ridesharing passenger, make sure that it is properly reported.
- Notify the Ridesharing Companies (and Insurers): The third step is to contact the ridesharing company and inform them of the accident. Notice is important. You may want to notify other parties, such as your own insurance carrier, as well. However, it is best to allow your attorney to contact the company and not you, yourself, per se.
- Consult With a Houston Ridesharing Accident Attorney: You do not have to go up against Uber, Lyft, or any insurance company alone. After a serious ridesharing accident, it is imperative that you have a top-rated Houston car accident lawyer on your side.
One of the challenging factors of ridesharing accident claims is insurance. As explained by the Texas Department of Transportation (TDI) requires ridesharing companies to ensure that drivers who are actively working for them—meaning they are accepting passengers through the app—have adequate insurance coverage. However, there are some circumstances in which an individual ridesharing driver’s auto personal injury policy may be responsible for the crash. An experienced Houston, TX ridesharing accident lawyer can help you navigate complex insurance issues.Recovering Compensation for an Uber Accident or a Lyft Accident in Texas
Following a ridesharing accident in Texas, it is crucial that you and your family have access to the maximum financial compensation. Unfortunately, the big ridesharing companies and their insurers are driven to protect their bottom line—not your best interests. Our Houston ridesharing accident attorney fights to help injured victims secure the maximum possible settlement or verdict. You may be entitled to recover financial compensation for:
- Property damage, including vehicle repairs;
- Emergency medical care;
- Hospital bills and other medical expenses;
- Lost wages and loss of earning power;
- Pain and suffering;
- Disability or disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death of a family member.
Ridesharing accident claims are notoriously complicated. You cannot rely on a big company like Uber, Lyft, or an insurance provider to look out for what is best for you and your family. Our founder and managing attorney Rahlita D. Thornton is an aggressive and effective advocate for injured victims. We can help you navigate the ridesharing accident claims process. When you contact our Houston office, you will have a chance to consult with a Houston car accident attorney who can:
- Answer Questions and Explain Your Rights: To start, a Houston personal injury attorney can A provide valuable assistance in answering questions and explaining your rights. When you are dealing with a ridesharing accident in Texas, an attorney will help you understand exactly what you need to do to pursue a claim and recover financial compensation for damages. Our firm puts time, resources, and attention to detail into every case.
- Investigate Your Ridesharing Accident: Texas is a fault-based auto accident state, including for ridesharing crashes. We are prepared to thoroughly investigate your accident, gathering and preserving all of the important evidence. This includes everything from photographs to police reports to statements to medical records. Our Houston Uber & Lyft accident attorney will make sure you have everything that you need to file a claim and pursue justice.
- Prepare and Present Your Case: Our Houston ridesharing accident lawyer also provides valuable assistance in preparing and presenting your case. To start, we will put together a strong and compelling claim, organizing and presenting your evidence in a clear and persuasive manner so that you are in the best possible position for settlement negotiations with the insurance company. Most auto accident claims are resolved outside of litigation, but you will only be able to get a full settlement offer if you can present a strong case.
- Take Action to Get Justice: As a seasoned personal injury law firm, we are always prepared to take your Houston ridesharing accident injury claim as far as it needs to go to get you the best possible outcome. If settlement cannot be reached, we are ready to file a personal injury lawsuit to hold the at-fault party and insurers legally accountable.
At Thornton Esquire Law Group, PLLC, our Houston ridesharing accident lawyers have the skills and legal expertise that you can trust. If you were hurt in a ridesharing accident, we can help. Call us at (888) 378-1784 or send us a message now for your free, no commitment case review. From our Houston office, we handle ridesharing accident cases throughout the area, and can settle cases statewide and nationwide including in Harris County, Fort Bend County, Liberty County, Montgomery County, and Chambers County.